6 Waxing Tips for Flawless Hair Removal:
1. Hair needs to be long enough to wax. It should be long enough that it does not stick strait up and lays flat against your skin. For brows, this means that if you can’t grab it with tweezers, the wax won’t be able to stick to it either. Let those hairs grow out at least 2 weeks. For waxing other areas of the body like legs or the bikini area, the grow out phase will be 3-4 weeks, especially if you have been shaving.
2. Wax likes clean skin. While makeup won’t necessarily interfere with a brow or lip wax, body lotions will prevent wax from sticking to other parts of your body. I recommend exfoliating in the shower prior to your appointment and not applying moisturizer or any numbing cream before you come in.
3. The more frequently you wax, the less it will hurt. Waxing monthly is ideal. This is because when you pull hair out at the root, a new hair has to grow in the follicle. Young hairs have shallow roots and lift easily. The longer the root has been growing, the thicker, deeper and more difficult it is to pull out.
4. Timing is everything. The best time to schedule a Brazilian bikini wax is the week after your period. This has to do with your hormone levels. It will hurt the least if you come in that week.
5. Give your skin time to rest immediately after getting waxed. Many clients want to put makeup on right after getting their brows waxed, but I encourage them to wait an hour or at least until the redness goes away before applying eyeshadow. You don’t want to irritate freshly waxed skin. This goes for body waxing as well. No one should be going to a spinning class immediately following a leg or bikini wax!
6. In the weeks following a wax, be sure to exfoliate and moisturize. This will keep your skin smooth and prevent ingrown hairs. Ingrown hairs are caused by dry skin covering the follicle.